The picture above is of my great great grandparents, John and Mary Stacey, and probably their 4 youngest children.
Their youngest son George was born in 1882 so that would date this photograph mid to late 1880s.
I will start my thoughts with John and Mary who are the maternal branch of my family.

Thursday 15 March 2012

Joseph George Tirrell

Joseph George was my grandfather Herbert's elder brother and the eldest child of my great grandparents Joseph and Esther (Spencer) Tirrell.  He was born on 23rd March 1887 in Rochford, Essex.  He married Olive Elizabeth Scraggs on 3rd July 1909 in Maltby, Yorkshire.  Joseph and Olive had 10 children, all born in the Rotherham area of Yorkshire between 1910 and 1930.  Joseph died in 1930 at the age of 43.

This photograph was among my grandfather's belongings and nobody knew who the people in it were.  I only found out when one of the people I met on the internet through family history research sent me a photograph of her grandfather George Tirrell.  I think they must have called him George to distinguish him from his father Joseph.  Mum always referred to him as Uncle George.

I think this is a fascinating photograph and have been unable to find out the occasion.  It was obviously to celebrate some event and maybe a competition for the best decorated bicycle.  The flag at the front has pictures which look like King Edward VII and King George V with their wives on it.  Tied to the saddle is what appears to be a tank.  Could it be to celebrate the end of World War 1?  If anybody has any ideas I would be pleased to hear them.   I did send the photo to one of the family history magazines a few years ago and it was published but the person who wrote about it didn't really have any more idea than I have.

Joseph George is the one on the left but I have no idea who the man in uniform is or the young girl.  Maybe one of Joseph George's daughters.


This is the photo sent to me by Joseph George's granddaughter.  It certainly looks like the same person in the photograph above.  Obviously a studio photo with the backdrop of Nelson's Column.  Wonder if he ever visited London?

1 comment:

  1. I wanted some background on my Red Cross photo Sheila, so I posted it to the Great War Forum: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=176209
    There are loads of very knowledgable people there.

    ReplyDelete